In high school, the absurdity of the philosophers' prose became readily apparent because of the juxtaposition of viewpoints that we would read, sometimes in a single homework assignment. Philosopher A would say "X absolutely must be true; for these reasons there is no way I could possibly be wrong." Then Philosopher B would come along and say "here is why X is completely impossible; there is no way it could possibly be true."
Philosophers A and B obviously could not both be correct. Yet both sounded 100% confident that they were. Thus I concluded that all famous philosophers stuck with an idea and sounded 100% confident about it.
Needless to say, Made to Stick refines this observation considerably. It's not usually enough just to have an elegant core argument and sound authoritative; there are other important features such as "unexpectedness" and "concreteness". Looking back, the philosophers did these things pretty well too.
So I guess my saying remains half joking - but really only half.
No comments:
Post a Comment