I recently read that Wikipedia is planning to pay people to make illustrations for some articles. To justify paying for graphics but not article text, the interviewee claimed that "volunteers apparently don't find it rewarding" to make illustrations.
But I ask: is this because of some inherent property of illustrating (as she seems to be implying), or is it because no good tools currently exist for collaborative, online image editing? If it were as easy to collaboratively make illustrations as it is to write wiki text, my guess is that lots of people would do it for free. It sure sounds fun to me!
Two of my colleagues at MIT are working on separate research projects which I think could greatly contribute to making such a tool practical. But I can't disclose those projects here without their permission.
Thursday, December 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment